Monday 8 March 2010

the steep learning curve

I have nearly given up so many times and yesterday was one of them. I tuned Origin-Al in the morning and then had to set off for a routine hospital visit for Dave. Monday is cleaning day so it was several hours of getting all the mud back outside before I finally went into the music room to sit down and get some recording done. There was a small splilt on the side where I had glued the corner of the 2 soundboards - arghhhhh. Nothing for it but to loosen off 3 octaves of strings (inner and outer on each side) and re-glue.... (approx 1 week's work) I then thought I would practice on Recyc-Al. Whilst tuning I managed to break the 'f' string.... (approx 1 week to get in tune again).

My problem has always been that to get the sound I wanted I would have to commission a harp maker - £12,000 'conservative' estimate... (and they all pointed out that as it had never been done before it might not work).

So ... I set off to design and make my own harps. With no training/support/equipment and no time to train (4 children!) I have literally had to teach myself everything I know. Living far out in the sticks and having no babysitters often meant I had to forage in the outbuildings of the farm for any useful bits and bats (the first harp was made out of a shelving unit)...

(Thanks to my husband at this stage who has stepped in and is presently making my first-ever 'proper' harp - roll on next summer...)

I had an email this week - 'WANTED' £20,000 approx to buy a violin - has a place at Music College but at present is borrowing a violin which has to be given back.... I am not the only one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment