Thursday 17 June 2010

sleeping beauty

I did a wedding a few weeks ago at the most gorgeous old castle. Somebody's home, and somebody who loved their gardens. I sneaked a walk round afterwards whilst the guests were eating. I am presently working on my garden - a nettle wilderness for the past few years alas. Yesterday I moved a load of stone and got the main wall built. Today's job is digging all the dock and nettles out of the next stretch...

The wedding was a Chinese one. I was asked to learn one Chinese harp piece. At the front of the Great Hall were two huge wooden antique chairs - a lot of the furniture and flowers in this Castle had obviously come from the East. The guests were invited to sit in these chairs and the bride and groom knelt in front and gave them a special cup of tea. The guests would then announce their 'gift' - happiness, prosperity etc. Starting with the Bride's parents this went on for 40 minutes. Every time there was a mention of babies or children the Chinese guests collapsed in a fit of giggles. I can see where the inspiration came for the fairytale now. Needless to say my 4 minute Chinese tune ran out half way through the first pledge so had to improvise. Luckily no-one seemed to notice the Chinese 'versions' of 'She' and 'Queen of Sheba' (the tunes chosen as Processional and Recessional)...

See you this Saturday at Otley Courthouse - 8 pm - with Andy Hill (hillarious songwriter)

No comments:

Post a Comment