Friday 26 November 2010

Let it snow, let it snow ...

Wycoller Country Park next weekend - Sunday 5th December - and will it snow?!

For the past fifteen years or so I have been lucky enough to play at Wycoller before Christmas. It usually starts in Pepper Hill Barn, all set up for wildlife enthusiasts and learning. Loads of little ones making cards and playing my little harps and cimbalas. Then we carry everything down to the main old barn for a bit of a sing-song and as many tunes as the biting cold will allow!

It's funny but I suffer from terrible chillblains and my fingers swell to double the size and turn purple for most of the winter months but it doesn't ever affect the playing. I swop the rings to my little fingers and the beaded rings I wear for the drumming are old curtain rings so can be bent to fit!

Two years ago it snowed heavily. I gingerly drove through cut out walls of snow, just wide enough for one car and over 6' high in places over the moor top. The road into Wycoller was a sheet of ice and somehow I managed to park between a brand new Range Rover and convertible Bentley without mishap. I did pray all day that the owners would move them - but alas, it was not to be so had to enlist the amused help of Rangers to get me out! They stood at each corner to make sure I didn't slide! The road, however, was just unpassable and a tractor was needed to tow 2 cars at a time up the hill!

The setting however was just perfect. Just before the concert started we were stood in silent awe watching the snow cover the trees and ruined house when a deer stepped into the scene for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment