Wednesday 3 November 2010

Porters

The BBC have decided to sell dvds of The Yorkshire Symphony - £10 each I gather with £5 going to charity. This is the only information I have to date so will keep you posted in good time for Christmas!

My eldest, Philippa, was 25 at the weekend and had a huge 'posh' party. The dinner was held at Queen's College, Cambridge (where she is doing a phD) and we were to meet for pre-dinner drinks beforehand. To get into these Colleges you have to talk to the 'Porters'. They sit in little rooms just behind the big gates surrounded by 'pidgeon holes' - one for every student to receive letters and messages. They wear uniform, often with bowler hats. I have had reason to chat to various Porters over the years. They are the 'life-blood' of every college.

On her very first day (this was at Queen's College, Oxford) we were late... The car exhaust had fallen off on the outskirts of Oxford. Luckily I was in the AA. As it worked out, the easiest plan was for the AA man to take Philiy to college and for me to follow when the car was fixed with all her gear (including a harp, of course). I was left at a local garage and Philiy set off sat on the front seat of a huge yellow tow-truck. She was deposited at the porter's lodge, without her gown, with minutes to spare to attend her first 'formal dinner'. They have a system of 'family' support members. It amused me - she was asigned a 'college Mum', 'Dad', 'husband', 'sister' etc. This came into play straight away. The Porter rang for her 'Mum' who arrived with spare gown and swept Philiy into dinner, no fuss!

At 11 pm that night I drove down into Oxford centre to try and find the right college. There was no-one to ask, Philiy had taken the map and there are no signs. They open the huge oak, studded gates in the daytime and place a very tasteful wooden sign on the pavement so that the tourists can see who they are! Eventually I spotted an open gate. Inside the Porter gave me a map and directions to Queens. He also phoned so that they could unlock the gate! Sure enough a small door in the gate was opened and I was let in. I sat waiting on one of those old luggage carts next to a blackboard with wonderful messages on. 'hockey practice at 11 am tomorrow' 'Sarah's birthday drinks tomorrow night in the bar' 'we won the match' etc. On the walls at the side of the quad were beautiful shields depicting recent matches with College teams and scores, all drawn in chalk. Eventually Philiy appeared with a gang of her new 'family' to help carry harp and gear back to her lodgings. That was 6 years ago but I shall always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment