Saturday 6 November 2010

Concert in Clayton

Dave has booked Clayton Village Hall on Saturday 11th December - 8 pm. This is the first of many (we hope!) - I have always had a large amount of people asking where to see me so we are going to book venues and get on with ourselves! Clayton is on the outskirts of Bradford - more details later on how to get there but it has its own bar and I am joined by Eddie Lawler.

I have just realised I never got to describe the Cambridge visit! The party was set in Queens College. The Porter directed us to the 'first door' - we entered the Quad. On the left hand side is a cloistered walk leading underneath the 3 storey 'boat' building. Apparantly the College expanded in the 16th Century and needed accommodation for the new Dean and his family so acquired an old ship, turned it upside down and placed it on top of a warehouse. Worked brilliantly.

We puzzled over exactly which could be the first door in the dimly lit quad. On asking students they couldn't help either - all apologising for their inability to help us. Eventually we decided to enter the first door in the centre with a light over it. There was certainly a party going on but my Mum and me were the only females present! Whoops... Guests there knew exactly where we were meant to be, however.

We had stilton tart, duck, lemon desert and birthday cake. The table was Georgian mahogany and huge. It was also very wide and we couldn't reach across to pass the butter dish but discovered it slid fabulously well if you nudged it ...

Afterwards we went to the student bar. It was halloween party night. Mum did very well and we stayed for over an hour - no-one batting an eyelid at the two 'older' guests that night.

Today one of my students is collecting the upright piano. I really enjoyed having 2 pianos when Philiy came home for duets but I just don't have the space and am struggling with its upkeep. I am looking forward to getting all the harps into one room as well! I will also have room to start work on them again - can't wait! I have some new plans which should sound amazing - more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment