Thursday 30 September 2010

two harps nearly ready

'Cautiously optimistic' ... It's cool being an inventor, albeit, only of harps. The quad 'traditional' harp (Mystic-Al) is sounding absolutely phenomenal. I can't wait to play it. I am busy cutting trim and staining the last few bits of wood. The other harp is Hand-Al. This harp was the first harp Philippa took to Oxford. I believe she played for the Bruch Concerto on it. It was one of my first harps so I decided to re-make it and improve it. I once played Hand-Al in one of those huge optigan things at Towneley Hall. I cannot remember what they call them now but they were all the rage a few years back - they looked cool from a distance, huge plastic bubbles which you could walk round - when you play in one for a few hours you realise how much duck tape is used to plug the holes! One day disaster struck and one flew up in the air.

The harp is strung up with wire strings on the right and standard nylon on the left. I have made the bass strings by twisting up very long lengths of nylon together. It has worked well though and the bass has a punchy woody sound. All this on a 3' high frame - not bad eh?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment