Friday 23 July 2010

you can't rush a good wine - er I mean - harp

Yes - lots of time waiting for paint to dry. I am enjoying this part of making Mystic-Al. Loads of intricate patterns with gold and black paint. I have studied the decoration on antique harps - postcards, graves, church windows, Christmas cards, museums of course and once got to see the most amazing original 15th Century book on instruments. I was asked if I wanted to look at it - in a private collection at Micklethwaite. The most amazingly wierd collection of instruments ever - they literally tried everything! Most of my willow experiment died in the drought earlier this year but I shall just plant some more next year - this is to try and grow it into the right shape before it is cut...a long term project to make some wierd and wacky instruments especially for people like me.

Anyway back to the point... the decoration is looking fabulous and then comes the difficult part of staining the wood and polishing over without losing the decoration. I have just finished one side and am waiting for it to dry. It is laid out on top of the dining table as I type. This decoration was inspired by the walls of Mitton Hall. The oldest Great Hall in England I think - a huge dragon stretching half way across the main beam high up overlooking the minstral's gallery. Not very easy to see nowadays as the new owners have hung a huge modern chandeliar and you cannot see past the glare. No comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment