Saturday 20 February 2010

waiting for the glue to dry

It worked well but caused huge concern to my husband as I spent nearly 2 hours braying the inside of the harp with hammer and chisel. Add to the noise of the hammer the noise of the strings resonating (I only took half of them off) and it sounds quite impressive! My piano tuner once repaired a piano that had been damaged by a mesmerised 3 yr old with a hammer...
It was extremely tricky getting all the clamps on - useful items included: - a stretchy pink rubber exercise strap, a piece of washing line and gripper things bought at an Amish Shop by my Mum. Inbetween getting loads of washing dry in the glorious sunshine today's job is sanding down Origin-Al, touching up the paint work and gluing on some silver holograms I found.

I have 2 more harps to strip down. I have seen 2 professionally-made harps 'explode'. They suddenly snapped across the head. As the strings start to break the pressure sends a force to about a third of the way up the forepillar and this can break too. Each string sounds like a gun-shot. When I initially started making harps I employed a 'belt and braces' approach. Its only after a couple of years that I know my new designs work and I can re-make some of the early harps and make them sound better and they are alot lighter to carry.

1 comment:

  1. You could do with some pictures on here , May I suggest your nice to your husband and he might do a few for you???

    ReplyDelete