Sunday 21 February 2010

a Miric-Al

The plan for the day went to pot. It was ... re-string Recyc-Al, have a leisurely day including a walk to the Co-op to buy ingredients for a cheesecake ... and go out for dinner - hey I should have known! The potatoes are simmering as I write, pork chops browning. But - we have nearly cut out my first-ever proper performance harp (Miric-Al ?) (too tired at this stage to think up a fantastic name) I have never, ever gone on stage with a harp with evenly-spaced strings, no vibrations, without roofing bolts etc etc. Always had that niggling doubt that something might explode and am trying to remember not to hit the 'e' string too hard as the 'twang' is dreadful as well as coax the harp to 'sing' the right tune.

Multi-strung harps are like good wines. They improve with age. A bit of a 'see-saw' to get in tune but once there, I know my maths is good and they will be rock solid. Fantastically stable - can leave a gig where the heating is on full blast and hit the icy air and minus 6 outside and not one string ever breaks (don't even bother with a cover).

My lungs are full of wood dust so am off to down a pint of my own Kombucha tea to ease the sore throat ... and maybe plan tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment