Friday 19 February 2010

history and Prototypes

I wish I could paint - the snow is piled up on the branches of the trees and they even ploughed our road at 6.30 this morning (a first I think!).

I am having a template-free day today and have stripped the top strings off Recyc-Al. Now I have Origin-Al up and running I can improve Recyc-Al and hopefully get more depth of sound.... The trouble with inventing new things is that you end up playing prototypes and I have been too busy to get the real thing! For those of you who are completely baffled as to why a woman should suddenly decide to make over 20 harps in 6 years .... I shall try and explain. Firstly I wanted a modern image of tripleharp with a bass that shook the floor....achieved very quickly but a bit heavy to carry about. Also I wanted a traditional image of tripleharp - WITH TONE! This achieved 5 years ago - also light to carry - YIPPEE!! (apologies to the Welsh design but even a harp maker had to agree it was 'plinky-plonky' - interesting to note they last put effort into the design as far back as 1780 - work stopped with the invention of the pedal harp by Erard in 1796...)

Two and a half years ago I went to 4 sets of strings - a world first and quite a lot of luthiers I know said it wouldn't work..... I was told a few weeks ago by a Cambridge Professor that some of the best ideas come about through lack of research (sheer determination in my case). Not only did my 'quad harp' work but at its very first debut at a Dinner at Leeds Town Hall it was knocked off stage (when I had to leave it wired up to microphones whilst they did a 'horse race').
It somersaulted into the diners narrowly missing Vi-count and Vi-countess Lascelles - making horrendous noises at it did so as all the wires were torn out..... I picked it up and played the second half.......not bad eh???

No comments:

Post a Comment