Wednesday 24 February 2010

Bicyc-Al

The temperature must have dropped very rapidly around 4 in the afternoon yesterday because 2 strings broke. One on Chordi-Al, and I was supposed to be teaching on it at 6, and one on Recyc-Al. It used to cost me £40 per thunderstorm as when the pressure and temperature drops together it affects the wood causing it to contract very quickly and something has to give! I now use fishing line so it is a nuisance but not such a major expense. I may have mentioned this already but when I first starting making harps I asked the string suppliers if I could have a whole roll of string in each different gauge. They refused and said it could only be bought in pre-cut lengths - absolutely useless to me as I had changed all the lengths to get my different (and unique) sound! (more umpfh with a bass that shakes the floor)

Awoke to yet more deep snow this morning - hoping there is no more as I am taking a harp to Cambridge for my daughter on Thursday. Her harp is one I designed but was professionally made by Alun Thomas at Wolfecastle, nr Haverfordwest. It has the sweetest tone ever from a tripleharp and we call it Bicyc-Al!

No comments:

Post a Comment