Friday 23 April 2010

Four weddings and a funeral

We swopped a walking stick for stringing a harp today. It turned out to be a much longer job than first thought alas (why do these things always do that?). When I heard that a man had down-loaded a design of harp from the internet I assumed that the 'mathematics' of the instrument had been included. Not so! A long process of measuring the harp and working out where the holes will be on the soundboard and head. Each string has to be parallel and exactly 15 mm from the centre. Usually the strings run parallel with the forepillar - this one had a curved one .... Eventually I worked out the guages and lengths for each string and gave it to the man. He went away and drilled all the holes but when he brought the harp back - guess what - he had lost the guage.... Almost back to square one with measuring again...

Anyway - job done and I can now move on. Next week I actually have 4 weddings and a funeral - for the second time in my career! One of the weddings will involve playing chinese harp and a spot of piano for a change.

Next gig - Bacup (see earlier post for details - tickets from me)

No comments:

Post a Comment