Saturday 30 October 2010

schools

I love taking the harps into schools. Every now and then a child is scared of the harps and starts to cry but usually they love it too. I was in a school yesterday and I had played them Tchaikovsky, now known as Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty music (... groan), they had danced to Irish Jigs and pretended the music was waves, wind or fairys dancing. It was time for them to have a go and a teacher started at one end of the line and I started at the other. I held the harp for a very small child and he was brilliant. Ignoring all his class mates he tried each string and immediately put both hands to work accompanying himself. Wonderful delicate music. I asked how old he was. No reply. His classmates chipped in: 'he's seven' - 'no he's not, he's only five' - 'I thought he was still four' . No reply from the tiny musical child totally absorbed.

I tried again. 'So what do we call you then'. Again no reply but his classmates were in one voice 'Titus' - they shouted. Fantastic name! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment