Friday 14 January 2011

Yorkshire Ridings

Next concert February 5th, Clayton Village Hall (BD14 6QN), with Eddie Lawer (The Bard of Saltaire) - 8 pm - £5 in advance - info@tripleharps.com or 01535 642581 (there is a bar)

'Didn't know farmers listened to harps' - This was the greeting at the hotel the other night. 'They do now' - I replied. It struck me that they actually had no choice as I was the booked 'Speaker'. Nearly a hundred farmers came down the fells and valleys to attend the dinner. I must admit I got a few 'looks'. Once I turned up to give the after-dinner speech and the Chairman (who hadn't booked me) took one look and decided he would 'take the stage' and give a very long introduction with a lot of very bad jokes ... I brought the house down with the 10 minutes I was left with. 'Leave them wanting more' - oh yes!!!

I proudly announced that this was the fourth time I had been booked to speak at Farmers Supper Clubs to which the reply was 'What, didn't they listen the first time?' - We had a good laugh and there was a brilliant attempt at Pachelbel's Canon when I handed out some small table-top harps.

Today we got a call from Roy. His article had been published in the Yorkshire Ridings magazine. By dinnertime I had already taken a booking - thank you Roy! (page 38 if you want to read more ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment