Monday 17 January 2011

Ang-Al and Dav-Al

Next concert - Sat 5th Feb 2011 - 8 pm - Clayt0n Village Hall, BD14 6QN - £5 in advance/email us on info@tripleharps.com or tel 01535 642581
with Eddie Lawler, www.eddie-lawler.co.uk There is a bar!

I have just had an hour's practice. I have a lot on my mind so ended up playing 'the blues'! I am still sat looking at un-finished harps. The phone keeps ringing and there is generally so much to do. I am not sure how I ever managed to build so many in the past! Hopefully tomorrow ... I have, however, managed to get the extra string on Ang-Al so I can play a new tune! I have spent a long time getting this tune together (it was written in the 9thC by a Roman) and tonight I finally played it right through and was happy with it. I started playing it in another key but struggled at speed to dig my fingers into the inner strings (like the 'black' notes). I changed the key and ended up with one note short at the top! The great thing about making your own harps is you can get the drill out and add another string!

You may be wondering about the names of the harps. All the names end in 'Al' - my kids idea after they ate and did their homework under the first harp made of Aluminium. Ang-Al is actually for Angel and has names written down the back of people who are sadly missed - it starts with 'Dad'. Dav-Al is finished in jet black/glitter car paint so it reflects different colours in the light. It has been constructed with fibreglass, has no strings on it yet but I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

No comments:

Post a Comment