Monday 14 May 2012

painfully slow progress

I've been here before! Yes - putting 128 strings onto a harp takes time. I have done about an octave and a half on each side but am so busy doing other things I am only managing 2 strings a day some days alas. I really need this harp for performances as my large silver harp was only supposed to be a prototype! I have 8 turkey chicks which hatched a week ago and an incubator full of eggs ready to hatch in a couple of weeks. I only have a pair of adult birds and the female lays 2 eggs every 3 days so its slow going! I bought some eggs last year but they turned out to be useless so better slow and productive I thought. At least our eggs are 100% fertile. I am also looking after a small puppy. She was very vulnerable at first but she has turned the corner and is at last putting on weight and is very playful. I have been chased round the field by Dodge the donkey (born last June). He is incredibly strong and with Spring in the air got very feisty! We want him to be a companion to his mum, Flossy, so the vet came up last week and did 'the deed'! I am waiting for him to calm down! I am told 6-8 weeks. Until then I creep up to the hen shed running from tree to tree out of sight. The danger comes when I go into the turkey pen... Firstly I have a huge stag to contend with. Just throw him food I hear you say ... not so simple ... he will only eat from the feeder for some reason. This means I have to get the food into the old caravan before he gets there! Occasionally he is waiting, hissing and spitting, by the door and I have to go back later. This is Dodge's cue and he is usually waiting in the wood for me to come out gingerly! I usually dodge Dodge through the trees and leap over the wall onto the footpath and come back to the Farm that way! I am just told that I am playing in Keighley at the Artistic Off-License in the next couple of weeks - I will keep you informed!

No comments:

Post a Comment