Monday 23 August 2010

locked out

My Dad and me used to spend hours digging 'the moat' at the back of our house. It was a hunting lodge in the old Forest of Knaresborough used up until the end of the 14th Century. We laid out all the bits of pot on the dried up bank. He used to tell me this tale that we were beaten by a family who had a castle near Leeds in the 12th Century. This incident was always referred to as a deeply personal affront that still touched a nerve.

I have done a few weddings in this 'castle near Leeds' but this one was ruled by a certain officious photographer (and wife). None of the guests were allowed a drink and he clung to his list of photographs and executed the order with military precision. I had played for the Ceremony and followed the guests as quickly as I could to play for the drinks reception, outside, the weather was windy but dry. These medieval castles were built without doors - obviously. No point in making things easier for the enemy. I lifted the sash window and opened the shutters below and slowly manouvoured the harp through. I appeared into the backdrop of a perfectly ordered photograph of 'bride and groom and guests of the groom' ... and got shouted at. The guests ushered me through but the photographer looked daggers at me as I stumbled in long frock with harp down the stone steps. I found a 'seat' on the stone wall overlooking the terrace and started to play. Didn't even finish the first tune - the photographer informed me (via his wife) that he would need the whole wall to stand on at any time.

Nothing for it but to sit it out. I carried the harp round the other side of the castle and waited with the waitresses and trays of champayne (going flat). Eventually most of the guests got fed up and defected for a drink to the bar - which of course was on the other side and we couldn't go through the door so we all ended up walking round the moat, me with harp ...

Imagine my dismay when I arrived at the Museum of Photography for a spot on the radio this morning at 10 only to be told that they wouldn't let anyone in early for any reason and I had to walk all the way round (with harp) to the door nearest the radio staff to try and attract their attention .... grrrrr!!!!

(Mystic-Al is about 2 tones down - I tune the 122 strings up twice a day. Hand-Al, the much needed small, carriable harp has all its strings on and is due to start tuning up tomorrow. Dav-Al is looking fantastic, awaiting its last coat of lacquer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment