Saturday 19 November 2011

magnets and daisywheels

I am in big 'trouble' ...!!! In an attempt to get Dave organised I clipped wads of papers together for him. These clips had magnets on the back and I stuck them on the side of the computer. They have been there for a few weeks. Strange things started happenning to the computer and I 'helpfully' suggested at one point that a poltergeist was playing tricks. Dave has been tearing his hair out trying to fathom out what was going wrong with the computer. I have hardly been on (as you may have noticed).

It finally dawned on Dave and he couldn't actually believe I didn't know about computers and magnets ... nope ... I have never had any computer lessons alas.

The first day at my very first job was spent on 'Yorkshire's first and only daisywheel word processor' - according to my very first 'Boss'. I was stuck in the converted attic of an old Georgian house with no windows and a long very boring report to type. I started with a Beethoven Sonata (The Walstein) and it coped very well. I thought I had come up with a solution to boredom so tried some Gershwin. Not Rhapsody in Blue but Prelude in F ... I got to the last movement and the carriage shot off across the room about 10 feet. I wasn't looking because the flames coming out of the centre of the word processor were threatening to singe my hair.

I never dared to admit what I was actually doing and the IBM Engineer quized me very puzzled as he surveyed the burnt out machine ...

(Don't tell my Boss please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment