Wednesday 5 October 2011

Dave's book

I gave Dave's book a HUGE 'plug' on the radio today, trouble is he hasn't actually finished it yet ... ha ha!!! It's getting close though. I played 'Hand-Al', (the 3/4 size portable harp)- it is still not finished either! I am at the stage of polishing - loads of layers of wax polish. It does not make much difference to the sound but the patina is coming along nicely. Every week there is an improvement in the sound as it settles in. I was asked if it was made from a special kind of wood, (brilliant! - plywood, in case you are wondering).

The strings I was making last week are a complete success so I am thrilled. They are for the large performance harps. I have a couple of harps to re-string now ... Luckily it is only in the treble and I can change them round a couple at a time and carry on playing.

On the animal front the turkeys have been very naughty and were escaping every day so I have locked them in their shed whilst I re-do their fence! They do not realise it is for their own good! If turkeys mix with hens they get a disease - hens are okay - it does not affect them.

Talking of escaping - the bunny has been an absolute nightmare and has escaped out of her run 3 times this week! It was too hot for her so the coolest place for her was downwards! She even managed to get the wire mesh off the bottom of her cage. Dave's son and me searched and eventually found her at the bottom of the wood laid in an earth trench/burrow she had made. It was a very elaborate capture plan involving carrots, a dustbin and a fishing net ... and a lot of patience!

Check out the BCB previous broadcasts for Wednesday 5th October 2-3 pm, presenter: Janet Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment